Reports Builder Crashes Immediately on Being Invoked through the Menu, installing Oracle 10g report developer on windows 7 64 bit
If you have tried all the following options and still have trouble opening Oracle report builder then this document is applicable to you. This has helped me save a few hours and days of efforts for me.
- Virtual memory setting change in System Properties → Performance Options → Virtual Memory setting
- Abnormal program termination and using –ignoreSysPrereqs while installing developer suite
- Compatibility setting by changing to “Window XP – SP2”, “Window XP – SP3” and “Windows 2000”.
- Run this program as administrator.
The Reports Builder version 10.1.2.0.2 crashes on being invoked from the menu. It also crashes when being invoked using rwbuilder.exe from command line. It has never worked since installation. The PATH and ORACLE_HOME are set correctly.
There is a printer or printer driver conflict.
In this customer’s case, the default printer was a network printer, “HP Color LaserJet 2550n”.
As a test, created a dummy printer (local) using printer driver “HP LaserJet 2100”, and set this as the default printer. After doing that, the Reports Builder was successfully invoked.
Please note this problem can also occur with other printers. This case is used just as an example.
To implement the solution, please execute the following steps:
1. Have the printer Administrator download the latest printer driver and update the printer driver used for your default printer. In our example, download latest printer driver from HP website and update driver for the default printer, “HP Color LaserJet 2550n”. Please note this problem can also occur with other printers. This case is used just as an example.
2. If using the latest printer driver does not work for you, then test Reports Builder using other printers set up on your Windows box, by making each one the default printer.
3. If other printers do not work, then as a workaround, you may change the default printer to a dummy printer queue that you can create using a printer driver known to work, like “HP LaserJet 2100”.
YP: In nutshell simply change your printer default to system default printer. I know this sounds crazy but this works.
Reference : Support Doc ID 454428.1